Diary of Moshe Borger – page 3
I had not found a companion or companion spiritually related to me, to whom I could confess, who trusted me and made me friends. Because of this, I cannot confess, I will "pour" thoughts and feelings onto paper. At the age of 10, my father sent me to junior high school after the fourth "ludowej"5. Learning and progress in middle school, except for the first one, where I had a "single" until today6, was good. In the second year, in 1932, I joined the emerging "Akiba"7 and it exists to this day. The organization had a great influence on the shaping of my character and worldview (it is also happening today). In 1933, I met Salek8 Chaim9, my school friend. Soon Salek became my best friend too. I often went to him in Wola Mielecka10 (his father Israel Chaim of blessed memory leased the manor there) and I spent my free days with him when not studying. Meanwhile, in the organization, I experienced the idyllic times of the 3rd gdud11. But after a two-year stay in the organization, I moved on to the second one. Since then, I have gained an influence on my quarters. Our Kwuca12 in the second place received autonomy. After a one-year stay in the 2nd gymnasium, where I was co-opted to the hanhaga nests13, they finished
5. Last year of primary (elementary) school in Poland at the time.
6. I am unclear what this means.
7. “Akiba” was one of many local youth Zionist organizations in Mielec and in many other Polish towns.
8. Like English, it is very common for Poles to use diminutives rather than their full names. “Salek” is a common diminutive for Solomon.
9. I have no record of either a Salek (Solomon) Chaim or his father Israel Chaim. There is a record of a boy named “Chaim Chaim” who attended Year 2 Gimnazjum in 1931-1932 in Mielec – it is possible this is the same boy.
10. Wola Mielecka is a small village about 5 kilometers WSW of Mielec, across the Wisłoka river.
11. I assume this means 3rd Grade (Year 3 of Junior/High School)
12. I am unclear what this means.
13. I am unclear what this means.