(Cmentarz Cholery i Nowy Cmentarz Żydowski w Mielcu, formerly on ul. Kolejowej, Mielec, Poland – Link to Google Map)
The “Cholera Cemetery” was formerly located on ul. Kolejowej in Mielec. It was used primarily to quickly bury victims of the cholera epidemic of 1873, and later used between December 1930 and August 1938 for all burials after the Old Jewish Cemetery was full. There were 213 burials from the cholera epidemic, and 232 burials in the 1930s – 445 total.
How to Visit
You cannot visit this cemetery as it no longer exists.
This is an excerpt from an article written by historian Andrzej Krempa describing the history of the cholera cemetery in Mielec:
“The cholera epidemic erupted in Mielec at the beginning of 1873. The first two victims of the epidemic of the Jewish community were buried on January 3 (Joseph Gross and Miriam Esther Gross)*. In January, 108 people of Jewish nationality were buried, in February 22 people, in March 8 people for cholera and 2 people for typhus. In the next two months, the epidemic has already waned, in April there were only 8 burials, including 6 for typhus, while in May and June there were no fatal cases. In July, 6 people who died of typhoid and one person for cholera were buried in the cemetery. Unfortunately, in August 1873, there was a recurrence of the epidemic, 46 people died, including 6 people suffering from typhus. September was the last month of the burials of the Jews who died for cholera – 13 people were buried then. The last person buried in the cemetery was Shprintze Kanner, who died of typhoid in October. All 213 people were buried in one grave, without tombstones, a mound was built. On the preserved maps of Mielec from 1887, the cemetery is marked as “a trench”.”
* Archiwum Akt Nowych w Warszawie (dalej: AAN), Zespół 2/15/0, Ministerstwo Opieki Społecznej w Warszawie, syg. 704, Zamknięcie cmentarza Żydowskiego w Mielcu. Odwołania, obwieszczenia, plan sytuacyjny terenu, wyciągi z metryk zmarłych. Opinia sanitarna.
You can see the location of the cholera cemetery on this map of Mielec from 1936 and from this aerial photograph from 1942:
Source: Polish State Archives, Archiwum Akt Nowych w Warsawie, Zespoł 15, Syg. 704 – Zamknięcie cmentarza żydowskiego w Mielcu. Originally transcribed by Krzysztof Bielawski and edited by S. Genzer